Bellamy-Ferriday House & Garden

Address: 

9 Main Street North
P.O. Box 181
Bethlehem, CT 06751

Phone Number: 
(203) 266-7596
Hours: 

Open for tours: May through Oct.
May – Sept.: Fri. – Mon., 12 – 4 pm
Oct.: Sat. & Sun., 12 – 4 pm
Open on Memorial Day, Labor Day & Columbus Day
For school groups and special curriculum-based programming, to reserve tours for groups of 10 or more, or to rent the facility, please call the Bellamy-Ferriday House & Garden at (203) 266-7596.

The Bellamy-Ferriday House & Garden embodies the dramatically different passions of two extraordinary individuals: Rev. Joseph Bellamy (1719-1790) and Miss Caroline Ferriday (1902-1990). Rev. Joseph Bellamy was a renowned leader of the Great Awakening, the emotional religious revival of the 1740s. He built the house in two stages, beginning in 1754 and finishing in 1767, as his family, theological seminary, and stature grew. Architectural embellishments were added by Rev. Bellamy's eldest son in the1790s. The 100 acre farmstead with numerous outbuildings remained in the family until 1868.

The property went through several owners until it was purchased by Caroline Ferriday's parents, Henry and Eliza Ferriday, in 1912. The Ferriday family updated the house with modern amenities and Mrs. Ferriday began reshaping the outdoor spaces by designing a formal parterre garden and introducing a wide variety of fragrant trees, shrubs and perennials, sweeping lawns and evergreens, providing more privacy from the road. Following World War II and her mother's death, Caroline continued the stewardship of the property. Under her care the rose & lilac collections grew and the property was further refined as a breathtaking combination of natural and man-made beauty. Miss Ferriday, an actress, conservationist and philanthropist, supported the Free France Movement during World War II. She was a leader in securing help for Ravensbruck Concentration Camp survivors, and was actively involved in the Civil Rights Movement. She deeded the property and furnishings to Connecticut Landmarks on her death and most of her remaining property to the Bethlehem Land Trust.