CT Landmarkslogo: CT Landmarks
tagline: History Moving Forward

Bellamy-Ferriday House & Garden

Bellamy-Ferriday House & Garden
9 Main Street North
P.O. Box 181
Bethlehem, CT 06751
203.266.7596
bellamy.ferriday@ctlandmarks.org

HOURS:
Closed for Regular Tours until May 2014.

For school groups and special curriculum-based programming, to reserve tours for groups of 10 or more, or to rent the facility, please call the Bellamy-Ferriday House & Garden at (203) 266-7596.

The Bellamy-Ferriday House & Garden embodies the dramatically different passions of two extraordinary individuals: Rev. Joseph Bellamy (1719-1790) and Miss Caroline Ferriday (1902-1990). Rev. Joseph Bellamy, a renowned leader of the Great Awakening, the emotional religious revival of the 1740s, built the house in 2 stages, in 1754 and in 1767, as his family, theological seminary, and stature grew. Architectural embellishments were added by Rev. Bellamy's eldest son in the1790s. The 100 acre farmstead with numerous outbuildings remained in the family until 1868.

The property went through several owners until it was purchased by Caroline Ferriday's parents, Henry and Eliza Ferriday, in 1912. The family updated the house with modern amenities and Mrs. Ferriday began reshaping the outdoor spaces by designing a formal parterre garden, introducing a wide variety of fragrant trees, shrubs and perennials, sweeping lawns and evergreens to provide more privacy from the road. Following World War II and her mother's death, Caroline continued the stewardship of the property realizing that she had Bethlehem under my skin. Under her care the rose & lilac collections grew and the property was further refined as a breathtaking combination of natural and man-made beauty. Miss Ferriday, an actress, conservationist and philanthropist supported the Free France Movement during World War II, was a leader in securing help for Ravensbruck Concentration Camp survivors and involved in the Civil Rights Movement. She deeded the property and furnishings to Connecticut Landmarks on her death and most of her property to the Bethlehem Land Trust.


Sign up here for our email list!
For Email Newsletters you can trust
DonateNow

 
 
 



 
 

CT Landmarks Central Office: 255 Main Street, 4th Floor, Hartford, CT 06106 | p:(860) 247-8996 f:(860) 249-4907 e:info@ctlandmarks.org

© 2008 Connecticut Landmarks | website development by David Streever