211 High Street
Hartford, CT 06103
Closed for Regular Tours until April 2014.
For school groups and special curriculum-based programming, to reserve tours for groups of 10 or more, or to rent the facility, please call (860) 247-8996 x 11.
The Isham-Terry House is a time capsule of genteel life in turn-of-the century Hartford. Dr. Oliver Isham bought the 1854 Italianate Villa in 1896. Here he had his physician's office and lived with his sisters Julia and Charlotte.
Julia and Charlotte occupied the house until the 1970s, defying the urban renewal craze that demolished so many historic homes. The sisters made so few changes and modernizations to the house that crossing its threshold today is like stepping back in time. Room after room is filled with objects of historical and family significance: ornate gas-light fixtures, stained-glass windows, rare books and paintings, Connecticut-made clocks, and memorabilia from Hartford High School, the Ishams' beloved alma mater. Even Dr. Isham's office, with its surgical instruments and medicines, was left undisturbed. Dr. Isham also possessed a rare collection of early Connecticut automobile memorabilia.
Connecticut Landmarks is pleased to have been awarded $30,500 toward the Isham-Terry House Revitalization through the 2012 Hartford Arts & Heritage Jobs Grant Program, funded through the City of Hartford and administered by the Greater Hartford Arts Council.Isham-Terry House Grand Reopening. Photos by The Defining Photo, LLC.